Friday, October 11, 2013

Treasured Gifts

One of the most precious gifts I have been given in this lifetime is the opportunity to forgive and be forgiven.

I shared in my previous post that I had a powerful experience of forgiveness many years ago. I held deep resentment toward someone who I felt had betrayed me. My mind kept going over all of the reasons why I should feel this way. Well-intended friends and loved ones agreed wholeheartedly, yet my heart felt so uneasy.

This was a new experience for me, and I was uncomfortable feeling that way toward another being, however hurt I was. I realized that I needed to move forward and, in order to do so, I had to forgive. I could not have inner peace and at the same time harbor this negativity toward another.

But where to start? I wanted deeply to transform the pain and negativity.

Those days I had just begun my practice of devotional chanting. I chanted for hours every night, completely absorbed in the practice. The testing and purification was intense. Having little financial resources, I lost my home. I clung to my practice more than ever.

One evening, no longer able to carry this pain in my heart, I asked the Divine for help.

The answer was immediate and crystal clear: Just let it go.

Just let it go? I had not considered that as an option.

I understood this to mean that it was up to me to hold on or let go. In my heart, in my mind, and from my mouth, I uttered I am ready to let it go.

And the greatest burden was lifted from my being. I was free.



4 comments:

  1. Dear Master Elaine,

    thank you so much for this really powerful teaching! It stopped my mind on track. I was worrying about a topic the last few days. Here actually simply is the answer - "let it go"! Exactly what I needed the most at this moment in time.

    Very powerful teaching, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear NIna, The Divine always gives us what we need most. Thank you for sharing.
    Love and blessings, Master Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, Master Elaine. Thank you for sharing and for your blog. I look forward to following you here. Love, Christie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christie. I look forward to connecting with you and everyone here. Much love, Master Elaine

      Delete